unrepeatable's san francisco review

2.14.2006

SF is my Valentine

arge. valentine's day.

the corner flower stalls were all overflowing with gorgeous roses and iris and lillies and daisies and roses. there were hordes of people on the streets and in the subway holding their beautiful bouquets and their beautiful arrangements of flowers and flowers and flowers. i left work early, so i thought i'd take the muni (above ground on the way home- you know, to get some sunshine) but the j was packed with people and their flowers and there was some sort of switching problem, so i decided to not become part of the problem and take the bart. which was not unbearably stuffed with human cargo and all of their flowers.

i got off at 24th and mission and as i escalated from the dim florescence of the station, i was greeted with yet more flowers and an arctic windstorm. i climbed the hill toward church and noticed the stores were dim and the street lights were out. the wind must have blown something over or up. maybe this was the cause of that switching problem they were talking about at the station. transit people were directing traffic and the cold wind was absolutely piercing. i made it to the muni stop and waited, trying to stay upright in the wind. but the j wasn't coming, or maybe it just wasn't coming fast enough. waiting for it seemed sillier and sillier as i stood there in the bright, cold afternoon with 24th street to my left, beckoning me with shops and shops and shops i'd never even looked at.

so, despite the wind and the biting cold, i wandered down the street to look in the windows at all the fantastic wares and thumb through the used book racks. and as i did, i realized that i was being ridiculous. why be in a bad mood? because it is valentine's day? ridiculous. i wasn't alone and i wasn't unloved. i had a date. san francisco. san francisco was trying to take me out. san francisco had replaced the bart's stale dank funk with vivid color and soft fragrance. san francisco placed flowers at every turn, packed and delayed the muni knowing my impatience and my dislike for wasting my precious serotonin filled sunshine would take me down a lovely street. san francisco didn't give me a vicious icy windstorm to cut right through me, it gave me little cyclones of pink dancing flower petals hidden in doorways that i never would have noticed from the muni or in the short dash from it's door to my door. san francisco knew i needed time and opportunity. it knew i needed to get cold enough to actually stop in one of the cafes for coffee and not just walk by and say next time. it knew i need time to pull my head out of my ass and look around. and it gave it to me. and that is why san francisco is my valentine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home