unrepeatable's san francisco review

4.02.2006

mellow bello

being new in town I don't have a coffee place to really call my own. yet. I'm currently looking. there are a few places around that'll do in a pinch, but I want one I can call home. luckily this is the sort of search that I like doing. today, I decided to try the illustrious cafe bello, a place I pass on my daily walk(s) to and/or from the BART. usually closed on my way home, I hadn't gotten the chance to sample their wares. but the delightful colors and the delicious pictures of "latte art" in the windows had me very very interested.

I was a bit concerned, as I left home, that cafe bello would be packed. it was sunday at about 11am, prime brunch time. but luckily cafe bello, while not empty, was no where near packed. it might even be said that cafe bello was quite mellow. the tables were occupied, but there was plenty of seating at their long u-shaped counter. I set up camp in the bottom of the U, where I could nurse my latte and look out the big window onto the street. not much was going on. it was raining, the only people on the street were those walking dogs or children.



latte art
is that a thistle?

the clientele ranged from young marrieds to old marrieds to singles of varying persuasions, some with laptops, some with papers, but nobody seemed there to be part of a scene. nobody looked like they had dressed for the occasion. they were just there for a cup of coffee. not to be seen, not to show off, not to pick anybody up, just to have a cup of coffee.


cafe bello
mellow bello

the latte was passable. I wouldn't kick it out of bed. mostly because it would spill on the sheets (why would you have a latte in bed? that seems counterproductive). but the best thing about cafe bello was its simple, unpretentious atmosphere. it is the sort of place you could sit for hours. better than that, it is the sort of place you would want to sit for hours. it's the sort of place you might even want to call home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home