unrepeatable's san francisco review

5.20.2006

smack

I grew up in the suburbs. Strip malls and shopping centers. Parking lots. Planned developments. Your basic nightmare. After I left the suburbs I moved to LA. Which, if you think about it, is really just the suburbs. Overgrown and sprawling. I wanted to get away from this, away from needing a car, away from driving from store to store. Away from strip malls and shopping centers and parking lots.

So I moved to San Francisco. Gave up the car and got a bus pass. Started wandering the streets and avoiding anything that called itself a megaplex. But sometimes, sometimes, I miss the suburbs. I miss the strip malls and shopping centers and parking lots. So I reserve a zipcar and head out of the city, to the asphalt wonderland of chainstores. I need a fix. A hit. Just a little one, to take the edge off. Maybe a new kitchen utensil- something in a moka. Is it over priced and unnecessary? Sold! And I need baskets. No, I don't know why. And I don't think I need to justify myself to you. I just need baskets. And this book. Just the moka, the baskets, and this book. That's all. I think.

And now that I've had my fix I can go back to avoiding megaplexes and chainstores and trying to seem hipper than I am. I should probably start by not using the word "hipper."

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home